Friday, February 10, 2012

Airtel-Sim Card # 8919 … what a hoax?

It was a weekday and as usual I was busy in my professional adventure. In other words I was in office and was busy with with work. I was so busy that I did not notice a miss call on my cell.

When I saw my cell, I was told that I have missed one call. I went to see the details that who the person is who called me? It was Unnamed and I saw this number +923346582857. Immediately I dialed this number without even noticing anything (what can I say my job nature is like this? I can get call from any corner in the world…).

To my surprise, the person on the other side of the call introduces himself as Rahul Verma. He told me that he is calling from Bandra, Mumbai. He told me that he is calling from Airtel Head office and asked me to confirm my Sim has 8919 numbers into it and disconnected it.

Immediately, I check my SIM and was amazed to find that it has number 8919 mentioned on it. Without thinking I called the same number to check what is the matter? The person who introduces himself as Rahul Verma in first call told me that I have won a cash prize of 10,0000/- INR in a lottery. After listening this I disconnected the cell because I was pretty sure this is a fraud.

The only thing which surprised me is that how did he know my SIM Card has 8919 numbers on it? I check it with Google and was shocked to see the complaints of similar nature. I came to know that 8919 is a common number on Airtel SIM cards. Also the phone number which begins with 92 ISD code came from Pakistan.

Well I do not know how this whole scam works but lesson learn from me was

1. 8919 is a common number in Airtel SIM card.

2. Before I dial any number I should at least check the ISD numbers. I have no friends, relatives or business partner in Pakistan.

I was glad that I did not fall prey to the scam but yes I lost some money in this deal.

…so moral of the story is beware of such frauds and do not think the world is so kind to give you something free.

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics