Sunday, April 1, 2012

SSRS: How to solve Symmetric key issue with SSRS 2008R2?

Recently I was trying to access my SSRS reports which are hosted in my system after a long vacation. The SQL Server and Reporting services both are installed on my machine. I tried to see one of the reports which I had developed for my personal use. SSRS welcome me with the following message:

The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. (rsReportServerDisabled)

I thought what could be the reason. I checked my reporting services and it was running. So the Report Server is not disabled. I then realized that I have changed my windows password last week. Is this the reason, the SSRS behaves like this.

I remembered that I have set the Execution Account to my Windows ID and provided a password at that time. Since I have changed my password; it might be the issue.

I tried to goggled this error message and my thinking was close to the solution. I did following things to resolve the issue.

I open the Reporting Services Configuration Manager and deleted the Encrypted Content.

I went to the Execution Account screen and specified my Windows Account and password.

I then went to the Reporting Manager URL and reset the Data Source of my report. This is needed if you are deleting the Encrypt content file in Reporting Services Configuration Manager. So I went to the properties and re-applied Windows Integrated Security. My SQL Server is setup to use Windows Authentication so I did it otherwise you need to provide the credentials which your Data Source are using.

After setting up the things, I tried to run my reports and it runs successfully.

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics